Virtual Wearable Acquisition
User Experience Lead
Pompidou Nsangou ©
Led UX design of a web app for acquiring virtual wearables to customize metaverse avatars. This incentivized the brand's first metaverse product launch and platform engagement. Focused on conceptualizing an end-to-end flow from accessory acquisition to avatar dress-up. Designed intuitive interfaces through an iterative approach to create a streamlined user journey aligned with brand goals.
The brand aimed to enable pleasure-seeking for Metazens without an existing metaverse platform. Their challenge was creating short-term virtual delight aligned with their ethos of unlocking pleasure virtually and in real life.
- Research synthesis
- User flows
- Client alignment
- Wireframing & prototyping
- Duration: 3 week sprint
- Tools: Figma
Research and Key Findings
User Research Insights
- Metazens readily participate in metaverse
- Eager for next iteration of internet
- Want to curate NFT collections
- Try new experiences if valuable
- Desire more immersive experiences
- Branded virtual accessories increase status
- Seamless redemption drives participation
The research revealed the need for a seamless experience for the tech-savvy Metazen audience. My aim was to eliminate roadblocks and simplify flows as much as possible. The goal was enabling quick virtual accessory acquisition and reward redemption.
Define & Ideate
Defining the Solution Scope
Before outlining solutions, I created a high-level user flow to align on responsibilities with the team.
This helped answer key questions:
- Does the flow address all client needs?
- Which parts will the client handle?
- What are our limitations?
- How will the coupon work?
- How will AR work on the web?
Having answers to these questions helped to focus the scope of the solution.
- Ideation focused on communicating wearables’ story visually
- Landing page needed to present value clearly and intuitively
- Showing rather than telling the coolness factor
- Selling value even before entering experience
Adapting to Limitations
- Web experience relied on ReadyPlayerMe API, limiting feature control
- Used initial designs to align on achievable ideas within guidelines
- API constraints made some concepts like wearable icons impossible
- Brand had to compete within full ReadyPlayerMe asset library
- Explored creative concepts and focused on achievable within limitations
- Aligned brand objectives with partner priorities and technical ecosystem
- Crucial to reconcile brand goals and partner constraints
- Process of exploring, aligning, and focusing on achievable was key
- Insights from engineering conversations
- Stakeholder feedback from review rounds
This project provided valuable insights into designing acquisition experiences for emerging channels like the metaverse. I look forward to applying these lessons as web3 and branded virtual goods continue evolving.
- Align to core brand pillars when exploring new metaverse spaces. Consistency is crucial.
- Leverage research insights to create user-centric solutions. Findings guided simplified flows and value focus.
- Explore creative ideas while evaluating feasibility. Balance innovation with pragmatism.
- Adapt designs based on technical and partner constraints. Agility and embracing adaptations overcome limitations.
- Balance brand priorities with partner ecosystem. Careful alignment across stakeholders is essential.